Monday, February 8, 2010

Carnaval' in Viareggigo


On sunday February 7th we headed over with some friends to a bigger city in our area called Viareggigo and attended the Carnival. It is a huge parade with amazing "floats". I guess most cities have there own celebrations. I take it as sort of Italy's version of Halloween. The adults had to pay to get in the parade but the Kiddies are free. A lot of the Floats were political and we didn't know really know what they were getting at, but it was fun to see and be there all the same. Everyone, even the adults dress up in costume and dance in the streets between floats and spray silly string and throw confetti at each other.

Steve, Hayden and I all liked the Dragon float. I guess we all still favor the Asian culture. There were some interesting and beautiful ones too.
Along with a whole float dedicated to Michael Jackson, there were A LOT of Obama heads running around. They also had a float with a Cardinal and other Catholic church leaders with shotguns pointed at the crowd.
Also had one with a beautiful butterfly and flowers, people dancing one one side with cool music, then stopped in front of us and rotated. So on the flip side there was a werewolf of sorts and the people on the float became "evil" were throwing nets on the flower kids then we saw a lady dancing in a glass box with bloody handprints all over it.
Like I said, I don't get it but it was fun most the time and I know my mom in law would have LOVED it!!! She always likes a good Parade!


0 comments: